Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Baby Story

I walked into my kitchen at 5:30pm on Monday to start cooking super and my water broke. I had learned in one of my birthing classes that 90% of women get their water broken once they get to the hospital so I wasn't expecting it at all. A few minutes later Matt got home from school and we headed to the hospital. I called the doctor on the way and he said, "Come on up here, get your stuff together, you don't rush, it's not like the movies." We arrived at the hospital about two minutes later, at 6:00. A nurse confirmed that my water had broken. I was at one centimeter, fully effaced, 0 station. I was given pitocin to speed things up because I'm a group B strep carrier. It worked. The contractions started and I got an epidural at 8:30. I was fully dilated at 10:00. They waited until 11:00 to have me start pushing so I could get one more dose of antibiotics for the step. I pushed for 50 minutes and Rebecca was born. It was incredible! I really can't even put it into words.



We are so happy!!

I spent the next two days in the hospital. There was a little pull out couch for Matt.



The hospital room



Visitors!

I'm breast feedings and it took a while for Rebecca to get the hang of it. I'm also Croom's positive so while we were in the hospital she developed jaundice. She got some photo therapy and we started feeding her formula. She had to spend and extra night in the hospital (it was so hard to leave her!!) but she did really well and we got to take her home the next day.



Under the lights



Getting Rebecca ready to go



She's home!

No comments:

Post a Comment